A common cliché that is usually used in Nigeria during an agitation by any ethnic group or call for secession is “ONE NIGERIA”. This term is usually used to reiterate that the Nigeria country is constituted by different people but united as a country. However, a careful consideration of the history of Nigeria and the activities in Nigeria clearly show that the people of the Eastern part of Nigeria (that is the ‘Igbo’ people) have been seriously discriminated against. This is against the backdrop of the provisions of the section 42 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria provides against discrimination of any kind against a citizen of Nigeria for reason of the place of origin. I am proud of Mr. Dele Momodu for speaking the truth on the unfair treatment being melted out to the Igbo people despite the fact that he is not from the Eastern region.
Truly speaking, there is high level of discrimination towards Igbo people in their own country by elite leaders. The aforementioned provisions of the Constitution and other sections tend to provide some level of equality in favour of all Nigerians. However, in actual practice, there is no equality in Nigeria government in terms of appointment of staff to offices and in terms of elections to elective positions in Nigeria. Equality should be promoted across to the nations if we are indeed one Nigeria. As things is going on in the country, we are not a one Nigeria
When the tribe stand up to protest for their rights, an order is made for them to be arrested, and they are locked up in the country that its constitution provides for freedom of speech. When the youth stand up and say enough is enough, the government orders an army that is supposed to be protecting citizens to kill them, instead of protecting the citizens within and outside the country. A perfect case is the killing of youths who were peacefully protesting at the Lekki toll gate during the ENDSARS protest that was geared towards challenging police brutality.
One can only conclude that the maginalization and discrimination that is melted on the Igbo people is as a result of insensitivity of Nigeria leaders. A country where statements are being made to the effect that an Igbo man cannot be trusted with vital positions including the position of the President. Meanwhile, these Igbo people are citizens of the country. Nigeria leaders should learn from the Western world where Nigerians are appointed to hold key positions in other countries. A perfect example is the United States of America (USA) where President Biden appointed Nigerians even before his swearing in. That goes to show that he was sensitive to the quality Nigerians possess. Conversely, the Nigerian government and leader are insensitive to the quality of the entire Eastern part of the nation and allowed derogatory statements to be made against these people. This article will proceed to consider some leadership-related issues in a bid to talk sense and advise the insensitive governments and leaders generally.
Why the same – old is harmful to effective leadership?
I strongly believe that a real leader must not remain in some perceived self-created personal comfort zone, but must expand any (and every), actual and perceived obstacle, as a challenge, rather than a problem, thereafter, proceed to seeking the finest, most viable solutions, which address, both current, and future issues, in a relevant, and sustainable manner! We cannot accept, merely the same – old ways, and accept, good – enough. Rather, real leaders must demand their utmost degree of personal excellence, constantly, and consistently! With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly examine, review, and discuss what this means and represents, and why it matters. This shall be done using the mnemonic approach.
1. System; sustainable; service/ serving; stronger; solutions
Real leaders properly use, and take advantage of, meaningful, quality, relevant, and sustainable, strategic planning, to create and implement a well-considered, action plan, which is a major component of their system! The primary focus must be, serving and representing the Nigeria people, and its present and potential stakeholders, providing meaningful service! The goal must be to make the country truly stronger by implementing viable solutions in that quest!
2. Attitude; aptitude; articulate; actions; affects; attention
Great leaders need a positive attitude (without wearing rose-colored glasses), combined with a well-developed aptitude, and skill-set, to bring about the most significant, necessary actions! A leader affects others, either in a positive or less-stellar way! When he pays keen attention, and articulates an honorable, ethical, realistic, inspiring, and motivating message, which brings his states together, for the greater good, his country benefits, because it becomes, best-suited, for whatever, the future brings.
3. Make mark; motivates; meaningful
How a leader makes his mark (either for the better, or less) determines, whether he motivates others, towards taking the best path forward, rather than some populist, simpler, path of least resistance! Only, then, does he become meaningful, relevant, and sustainable!
4. Empathy; emphasis; effects; efforts; excellence; extra; extraordinary; endurance; establish
When a leader effectively listens, and learns, he becomes capable of proceeding with genuine empathy! If he aligns his or her emphasis accordingly, the effects are, usually, the finest! Proceeding with extra efforts, demanding his utmost degree of genuine excellence, rather than accepting, good-enough, and establishing, the finest scenario, into the future, makes a significant difference, whether a specific state, becomes, extraordinary, rather than simply, proceeds, with the same-old, same-old, ways!
Important Steps Towards Creating A Beneficial Action Plan!
I strongly believe, and counsel others, that nothing of consequence is usually achieved, unless, a well-considered, relevant, sustainable, meaningful, thorough, action plan, is created, and used, effectively. This process must begin with a professionally designed, meaningful, strategic planning, which examines everything, including the individual group’s heritage, history, mission, demographics, financial health (well-being), present circumstances, strengths, and weaknesses, as well as its leadership, and their fitness, to – lead. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 6 important steps, towards creating a truly, meaningful action plan.
1. Thorough strategic planning: There is always, a direct relationship, between the quality, relevance, and thoroughness of the organization’s strategic planning, and the successful creation, and implementation of the finest possible action plan. It is essential to know, and understand thoroughly, what is needed, and necessary, and the options and alternatives, to create a quality, effective strategy, and only when this is done, will a viable, effective action plan, be perceived and conceived of, created, and effectively implemented.
2. Always consider ramifications and contingencies: It is important to understand, and realize that there are, usually, ramifications of any actions taken, as well as when one resorts to procrastination. Wise leadership requires a thorough consideration of these, and prepares in advance, contingency planning, which can be seamlessly used.
3. Options and alternatives: Since, there are often a variety of options and alternatives, choosing wisely, must be, incumbent upon, a true leader. Consider as many aspects, as possible, with an open-mind.
4. Goals; priorities; perceptions; needs: What are the best goals, and true priorities, of your specific organization, at-present, and into-the-future, and why? How can you effectively address the constituent’s perceptions, and actual needs, in a way which brings about a meeting of the minds, for the greater good?
5. Relevant and sustainable, instead of populist, etc: Too often, leaders are elected based on populist, empty promises, and rhetoric, when, what is most-needed is, thorough, relevant, and sustainable planning, and meaningful actions, taken, in a well-considered, timely manner, and using time-tested expertise, etc.
6. Timeline, with, Table of Responsibilities: Once, the best strategic planning, is thoroughly, performed, and you know, what you seek, an essential aspect of the action plan, must be, having a timeline, to examine and consider, using metrics, what is going, as planned, and what needs to be tweaked. A great leader develops an inner circle of trusted advisors, and part of the planning must be, having a table of responsibilities, with each area, led by the right individuals, etc.
Conclusively, it is expected that the leaders in Nigeria tend to emulate the aforementioned essential tips for better leadership and stop this marginalization against a section of the country. With this, we will take steps approaching a better Nigeria.
I challenge all Nigerians and non-Nigerians alike to SHARE this post on their social media platforms to ensure that it reaches one leader or the order, with the hope that the negative orientations of Nigeria leaders begin to change. More so as the website (blog-post of www.steveadegunloye.com) is determined towards ensuring that significant recommendations are made to correct certain deficiencies in the Nigeria system. Your input is therefore needed by sharing the reposing.
About the Author
Steve Adegunloye, is a transformational writer, professional football coach/scout, consultant, and a creative writer original from Nigeria, specifically from the Omo Oduduwa tribe, whose primary goal is to positively affect the lives of people all over the world. and insightful commentary and analysis cover all aspects of human transformation, including love, partnership, self-love, and inner awareness with in-depth articles highlighting human psychology and behavior. I offers hope along with sound and objective advice.